Ending the Year on a High Note

Coming off of two straight losses on Friday and Saturday night, the Chiefs found a way to win against the Sicamous Eagles on Sunday, even if it took overtime to come out on top 7-6.

The two previous games the Chiefs scored only a single goal. Sicamous had scored eight the previous night.

The opening period was just what the Chiefs needed despite allowing the opening goal to Sicamous' Bradley Whitehead. It took only 90 seconds for the Chiefs to tie the game on the power play and then snatch the lead away from the goal hungry Eagles. Jonathan Lee would get the first from Josh Johnston and Luke Kalenuik while Josh Baird would count his 16th of the season from Ryan Lawson and Lee. The score was 2-1 and the game was only four minutes old.

At 7:37 Ty Dornn would score his first KIJHL goal (for a second time) from the point with a big slap shot. AP player Jeremy Hite and Alex Hartman would pick up assists on the goal to end the first period scoring with the Chiefs up 3-1.

The first half of the second period played much like both teams were under threat of expulsion if they allowed another goal. Not much happened. Then Chiefs' AP Zac Whitehead took an interference penalty which Sicamous quickly capitalized on with Nathan Plessis making the Chiefs pay.

For the following six minutes it seemed that someone was trying to make up for that Sicamous goal as the Chiefs had four consecutive power plays. It wasn't until the fourth of those penalties that they regained their two goal lead with 44 seconds left. Jonathan Lee scored his second of the game and tenth of the season from Lawson and Kalenuik.

The second period would end with some extra curricular activity behind the Chiefs net that would lead to a Sicamous power play to begin the third period, the Chiefs leading 4-2.

Plessis would count his second power play goal of the game with five seconds remaining in the penalty that Sicamous began the period with. The Chiefs would count their third power play marker of the game less than five minutes later with Ryan Lawson scoring from Lee and Kalenuik.

With the score now 5-3 for the Chiefs, both goaltenders had faced a total of 70 shots between them but would remain vigilant defending their goals. Brady Lenardon (42 saves) was starting his 21st game of the season and Sicamous tender Kolby Pauwels (56 saves) his 16th.

The final ten minutes of the period would see both goaltenders make saves to prevent sure goals, give up rebounds putting themselves at risk and finding themselves experiencing some physical contact.

With Sicamous down two men following a checking from behind penalty, committed against Lee for a second time in the game, the Chiefs were seemingly in a good place to see their way through to the final buzzer. But that just wouldn't have been dramatic enough on this night.

Having killed off the first minor penalty and the major penalty nearing the end, Sicamous broke down the ice two on one and Darien Blight willed the puck into the net behind Lenardon and then promptly ran him over taking a penalty giving the Chiefs their eleventh of twelve power plays on the night. Sicamous would however, kill this penalty as well.

Six minutes remaining, the score 5-4 for the Chiefs. Pauwels passes the puck to the linesman after another stellar glove save. The puck drops, Sicamous wins the face off and takes off. Eight seconds later Chase Williamson has tied the game and Plessis had his fourth point on the night.

Having taken and given back two goal leads twice in the game already, the Chiefs pressed harder and harder only to find Sicamous more determined. Finally, with just 90 seconds left, the puck popped off of the half boards to Chiefs' Brody Dale who promptly solved Pauwels glove hand. 6-5 Chiefs.

Nothing to lose, Sicamous of course pulled the goalie and pressed, and pressed. With just 34 seconds on the clock, Nicholas Cuglietta had tied the game yet again and overtime would be required.

The first five minutes of overtime played a little like a breather for the players, it was a bit slower on weary legs and ended almost unremarkably despite a Sicamous power play.

At 1:59 of the second overtime Chiefs' Jayden McNulty would drive down the middle to the net draped in a Sicamous defender. Pauwels would save but and get swept aside, leaving the puck sitting in the crease. It was Joel Scrimbit following McNulty to the net and with saucer sized eyes pushed the puck across the goal line giving the Chiefs' the win.

Joel Scrimbit was named the game star for the Chiefs , while Sicamous' Nathan Plessis was named for the visitors having counted two goals and two assists on the night.

Only their second win in December, it was much needed for the Chiefs who now get a break until January 2nd, 2016 when they host the Princeton Posse.